What You Need To Start A Business Online – The Basic Ingredients
|July 6, 2011||Posted by Louise under Online Business Ideas|
Do You Have To Spend Money?
Are you contemplating an online business? Maybe you’ve read articles claiming you can start one for free (just buy their products and they’ll show you how). While the prospect of making money without having to spend any is inspiring, the chances of establishing a long term successful online business for free are not only misleading but unlikely.
Indeed there are free hosting and website packages online, but these are best suited to those who are simply playing online. If you desire any form of long term success, then you’ll want more control over your online assets, which include your website, your content, your products, or affiliate efforts, in addition to your online business strategies.
The Basic Ingredients You Need To Start
So, what do you need to start a business online? Below is a snapshot of the minimum tools and steps you will need in order to get started, along with their approximate cost. Don’t worry; it’s not as bad as you think. Still much cheaper than an offline business or college education! (By the way…I left out the need for a computer. Since you’re reading this, I’m assuming you already have one.)
As you can see, starting an online business costs at the very least both money and time. Training and additional software aside, I pay approximately $40 per month for all the services that maintain my online presence. Of course at this point, I do most of the work.
But even if you are running your business for triple that amount, say $120 per month, you are still saving tons of money compared to the costs of running a business offline. Furthermore, when profits start rolling in, you’ll easily absorb that cost. You may even decide to increase it and pay for outsourcing services.
So, is this list what you expected? Is it encouraging or discouraging? Add your comments below.
Here’s a list of resources to help you get started. I use all of these. Some I highly recommend have an affiliate link; the others go directly to the site for you to investigate at your leisure.
- Hosting: Hostgator
- Domains: Namecheap
- Back-up solutions for your WordPress site: EZPZ One Click Backup Plugin & MyRepono WordPress Backup Plugin. I highly recommend either of these back-up solutions. However, if you go with EZPZ, you’ll want to transfer the backups to your hard drive via FTP daily. Then back it up with the rest of your PC files to writable CDs or DVDs regularly or to an online storage like AmazonS3. You can access either plugins via the plugins menu on the dashboard of your WordPress site.
- Back-up for your PC: idrive online storage system.
- PC security: I am still looking for the best service for me. These are my top contenders at the moment: Norton 360 (can slow your pc down!) and Panda Security.
- Autoresponder: Aweber has great service and is probably the easiest one to use. They cost a little more than other options, but ask around, they come highly recommended and there’s a reason for that.
- Training and planning: see my reviews on How You Can Make Money Online By Just Being You and How to Become An Internet Marketing Hundredaire.
Keep moving forward…